This is a collection of links to the websites of various programs and libraries that are useful in game development. Any tool or library I use will be linked here for easy reference.
- CMake is tool for automating the process of configuring and building software.
- Code::Blocks is a popular integrated development environment.
- Cygwin is a powerful set of utilities that provide a full Linux style command line development environment on Windows. Despite the rise of WSL as an alternative I stil prefer Cygwin when I’m working on Windows.
- Emacs is a powerful, programmable text editor with excellent support for software development.
- The GNU Compiler Collection is a powerful and widely used suite of compilers available on most computing platforms.
- Git is the most popular source code management system in use today.
- Mercurial is an easy to use yet powerful source code management system.
- MinGW is a Windows port of the Gnu Compiler Collection.
- A powerful cross-platform 3D graphics API and shader language.
- SDL, the Simple Directmedia Library, is a library for handling GUI events, user input, graphics, and sound in games.
SDL 1.2 Documentation
SDL 1.3 Documentation
- Visual Studio Code
- Though I strongly advocate for the use of free and open source software, I have to say that Microsoft has made me a convert to VS Code for editing software. It is powerful, extensible, and is simply a pleasure to use.